Frugal Family Fun: Homemade Chicken Enchiladas!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Homemade Chicken Enchiladas!

Chicken enchiladas are a family favorite, and it all started when I perfected my own home made recipe! One day when I was wanting to eat something but nothing seemed too appealing. I had some chicken, some onion, some green chiles and remembered that was some of the stuff we used in the chicken tacos at a restaurant I used to work at. I decided to try it but with a twist-I would boil the chicken with the veggies and chicken broth instead of just cooking the meat in a frying pan and adding the veggies. Well the chicken turned out to be amazing! So I decided to try it in enchiladas. Since then I have added to the recipe and really made it great! My friends and family have been asking for the recipe! So I am sharing it on my blog!!

What you will need:
1 can diced green chiles
1 small jar of roasted red bell peppers
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup jarred sliced jalapeños (optional)
2-3 lbs. chicken breast
chicken broth, 2-3 cans
2 packets enchilada sauce (cook as directed)
small tortillas
cheddar jack cheese

Begin to heat 1 can of the chicken broth in a pot.  Add the can of diced green chiles, the jar of red peppers, onion and jalapeños to the broth.  (The jalapeños will make it spicy, so if you don't want the heat omit from the recipe).  Heat until steaming and add chicken breasts. Add enough chicken broth to just cover the chicken.  Put on a lid and cook on medium about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  After about 30 minutes, remove lid and check the liquid and see if the chicken can start to be broken down using a wooden spoon.  Continue to cook (without the lid), stir and break up the chicken until most of the liquid is gone. Remove from heat as it will burn quick once the liquid is gone.

Start the enchilada sauce and cook as directed. I choose to use the McCormick brand enchilada sauce but you can use any type you like. The green chile enchilada sauce is also VERY good! As the sauce cooks, you can get the enchiladas ready. Begin using a large scoop of the chicken and rolling it up in the tortilla. Using a greased glass pan, line the enchiladas up end to end, packing tight.  Once all chicken is gone the sauce will be ready. Pour the sauce over the top, getting in the sides and covering all enchiladas.  If you are making more than one pan you may want to make more sauce. My family likes a lot of sauce so we make a lot.

Last but not least, sprinkle (or pile) on the cheese!! Put in a 375 oven for about 5-7 minutes and you are ready to go! Super yummy and pretty easy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Make sure to include your email in at least the first comment!!

Swagbucks!